Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

hippies partying in a bomb shelter....

Last night was epic.
Johan, John and I played some tennis in the afternoon, it was fun and eye opening (im out of shape). I won of course.  After that we went to the dining hall. Every Friday they have a Sabbath dinner with wine.  The food was banging and I drank lots of wine, made right here in Bar'am.  After that I went back and got ready for the hippie themed party in the bomb shelter. I went around with vodka and ice in a pitcher and offered to anyone who wanted (im a teachers pet).  Everyone went all out with headbands and tacky shirts and pants.  There were candles lining the stairs going down to the bomb shelter and the room was unbelievably decorated with drapes and candles and a sound system. They had a couple trays filled with vodka and different mixes.  Its tradition for the new volunteers to get hazed, so when I got my first cup they surrounded me and started chanting and I had to chug it. Little do they know that in America chugging is no biggy.  The party was bumpin, good music, everyone was dancing and laughing and having a good time. We all got so drunk and once the alcohol was gone we stumbled over to the bar.
The bar was wild, lots of Kibbutz members were there.  People were outside, there was a big dance floor with strobe lights, and a bar area. We all bought a couple of rounds and were talking with some of the locals.  I ended up talking to Raz for a while. The night gets blurry, but I remember at one point some guy ended up buying me tequilla and beers and gave me some hookah which was cool.  I talked with some soldiers who are living here, such nice people, and very smart.  At some point we all left and went back to the volunteer buildings.  There was a giant bon fire built and we all sat around it and laughed.  I then laid down and was out immediately.  Woke up this morning with a monster hangover.  We all went to the dining hall and talked about the party and nonsense.  I then went to play some tennis and ended up sitting by the pool all day. Got a little burned : /
Something unbelievable has happened to me.  I worked that half day at the apple factory, and now I have been informed I will be working in the dining hall cleaning dishes and such.  This is a miracle and all the volunteers are so pissed lol. Usually it takes months to get out of the factory. I thought maybe my mom put a word in to somebody here but she said she didnt.  Guess I am just going to charm my way to the top. 
I learned how to play backgammon today.  I am now 2-0 in my backgammon playing life. Cool game with lots of strategy.
Alot of people here have traveled all over the place.  I hope to be like them, I want to be able to pack a bag and go anywhere.  It takes discipline and patience, but you can hitchhike anywhere and stay in hostels. When I leave here I want to go to some other places. I am thinking Barcelona and Amsterdam.
Well we are about to watch a movie in the lounge and then sit around a bon fire.  Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment